Saturday, July 17, 2010

President Obama as rhetorical devil of the Tea Party . . .

This billboard recently covered up by the Tea Party movement makes an important point for our case here:

Hoffer makes clear that a mass movement of "true believers" must have a clear anti-thesis to create the essential identity of the movement. He states, "Mass movements can rise and spread without belief in a God, but never without belief in a devil."

I still maintain that being "anti-Obama" is the primary rhetorical identification of the Tea Party movement, and it has been since day one. Although certainly there are racist elements and members of the Tea Party movement, the identification is not necessarily racist per se, but it IS essentially primarily and anti-Obama. Thoughts?

1 comment:

  1. I really cannot describe how I feel when last January I said, with a different (time) perspective, this exact thing: "Although certainly there are racist elements and members of the Tea Party movement, the identification is not necessarily racist per se, but it IS essentially primarily and anti-Obama."

    My feelings were dismissed, and even caused some anger among my friends. I gave up those feelings only to realize now they were understated.

    I suppose I feel so very sad to realize I was right. Thank you for helping me feel a little less alone. And thank you for writing this.

    Buffy, the RWNJ Slayer

    ReplyDelete

Creative Commons License
RhetoricGoat.com by l.m. long and e.covington is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.